Friday, November 14, 2014

My Lesson at Brigham

Today I taught my science lesson, alongside my co-teacher, Kalya. Our lesson was a review of all five senses, which the students have been learning about throughout the duration of our time at the elementary school.  I was very pleased to realize the excitement many of the preschools had about learning the five senses, which became very evident when they all cheered at the fact that we would be working at stations to practice all five of our senses. In previous visits, the preschoolers were quieter and less responsive. However, their growth truly showed as many of them raised their hands to answer questions and responded correctly for the most part! Leading the lesson went smoothly, as we broke the students into pairs and had our assistant teachers run each of the stations. Students had four minutes to interact with each activity and were successful in visiting each station. Each assistant teacher had a checklist to fill out which assessed the learning that took place in each station.  Because this was the wrap up, or review of the five senses, we considered these checklists to be a summative assessment to find out what the students knew or would require further practice with! We walked around and facilitated the station work and prompted students with questions to check for understanding, clear up confusion, and push learning further!
                I had two main goals going into this clinical experience. My first goal was to gain experience working with children who are considered English Language Learners. This is because before this experience, I had limited experience working with ELL students and I feel that simply working with them is one of the best ways to improve your own teachings. This lesson was the first time I was able to lead a class and I was able to reflect on a lot based off of it. I lead the beginning discussion, introducing the topic for the day and interacting with the class as a whole. I found that the students were extremely energetic, which made me even more enthusiastic. I made sure to speak clearly and at an appropriate rate for both, preschool age students as well as ELL students, as well as used hang motions and facial expressions. One thing I experienced was that at times I was unable to understand some of the student responses. In my own experience, this can happen in any early childhood classroom for a number of reasons, accents or the learning of the English language is another reason this can occur. This is something that one could expect when interacting with someone else who may speak differently from you.  In the moment I politely asked the student to respond again to see if I could understand them more clearly. Sometimes this will work, other times teachers may have to ask them to reword it, explain in a different way, or ask them to show you. The use of visuals for them to point at and state is something else that may come in handy in future instances such as this one. I continued to gain more experience in working with ELL students from this lesson, as I paid closer attention to one student at random in order to collect anecdotal notes for our assignment. I was able to observe her interactions with a peer and with all of the assistant teachers. I also interacted with her, prompting her with questions and listening for her responses.  I will discuss more about her struggles in the following paragraph, as it contributed greatly to my second goal.  Overall, this lesson found great success in helping me work toward my goal of gaining experience with English Language Learners and I felt that today was one of the most successful days in respect to the self-growth I experienced as an educator.
                My second goal centered around the fact that I wanted to observe some of the difficulties that English Language Learning students experience in the classroom and use these observations to reflect upon later and think about what I could or would do differently in order to improve their experiences in and outside of the classroom to better their education. My focal student during this lesson was a little girl who was considered to be an English Language Learner. I observed her at each station and interacted with her periodically.  She showed many signed of struggle throughout the lesson that allowed me to reflect on!  At most of the stations she appeared confused as to what was expected of her for a number of reasons. One instance in particular showed that she did not have the vocabulary necessary in order to be successful at that station.  Because of this, it would be the teacher’s job to define those words in a way that she would be able to make meaning out of them. The words she struggled with were “hard” and “soft” which took place at the sense of touch station.  One way to do this would be to have the student physically interact with one or more of the “soft” objects and one or more of the “hard” objects. As she does that, should would state the word and ask the student to repeat it! She would put it in a sentence saying “This ball is hard” and “This toy is soft”. After gaining scaffolded practice with each of these terms, then they could attempt to move forward and allow the student some individual practice. I now realize that this type of direct instruction could have been beneficial to many of the ELL student’s learning during this lesson. I strongly believe in the important of including hands on learning and exploration for all students, but especially those who are new to the English language. 
                This experience has allowed me to move closer to my two main goals that I set out with at the beginning of the semester. It has amazed me that with the small amount of interactions I had with these students, the amount of growth I have experienced as an educator. Pairing these experiences with the learning that has taken place in our college courses has caused me to realize the importance of applying what we have researched about into your classroom, as well as, being extremely mindful and intentional in your teachings. Overall, I felt that this experience has helped me to improve my overall professionalism in the field and made me feel strongly in the fact that I wish to always improve my teaching practices.


EXCEEDS: I went over the word count of 1000. J

No comments:

Post a Comment